Bioenergy and MSW
Here below, the domains for the research and projects in which Sea Marconi is involved in one way or another are described:
BIOEpoxy (bio epoxy resin)
Dry transformers typically contain an epoxy resin that in turn, contains a dangerous substance designated as Bisphenol A. This research aims at replacing the typical epoxy resins with resins of a biological origin.
LORVER (Lorraine Vert – Green Lorraine)
Subject. Experimental system for the thermochemical conversion of biomass into energy by pyrolysis and pyro gasification.
Sea Marconi is charged with the development of a pyrolysis system, after cold tests at the Turin headquarters, to be installed in the French region of Lorraine. Here, the effectiveness of the process will be verified in converting a vegetable biomass (potentially contaminated) and possibly other types of biomasses (e.g. sludge) to produce a sufficient amount of bio-products and energy.
Duration: July 2012 for 5 years
Progress. After being moved to Homécourt (Lorraine, France), the system has been mounted and started operating. Currently, hot tests treating biomasses are carried out. In particular, after an initial characterisation phase with “ideal” material, other test campaigns with “realistic” material followed to evaluate the operational flexibility and energy output of the system.
Tender: Lorraine Region (France) – AME
- 4 companies: Valterra (design), Sita-FD, Chanvriers oriental and SEA Marconi
- 5 laboratories in Lorraine
- 1 research centre: CRP Lippmann Luxembourg
- 2 transfer structures: PROGEPI and CETELOR
BioEnPro means bioenergy and products. It is a technological platform using several innovative processes to transform wastes or by-products in general, into BIO energy and products with multiple and surprising purposes. BioEnPro is the results of over 15 years of research, at first within the thermochemical conversion of electric and electronic scraps, then in the treatment of NON FOOD biomasses for the production of bioenergy.
The continuous innovation led to improve the starting ideas to expand and enrich them until an extraordinary concept developed to service BioEnergy/Smart Communities. BioEnPro is a surprising synergy of different processes (mechanical pressure extrusion, biochemical conversion, thermochemical conversion, dual fuel co-generation by gas engines, phyto mediation etc.). The result is a Smart Solution in a totally self-sustaining manner, Zero Miles, Zero Waste, CO2 negative developing new jobs (Green Jobs).
Subject. BIOfuel from algae for a sustainable mobility in urban areas
Duration: 2012 – 2014
- Good results with nanosponges obtained by the University of Catania in growing microalgae
- The second round of reporting approved by the Ministry of Environment
Tender: Ministry of Environment
Participants: Sea Marconi, Polytechnic of Turin (coordinator) – University of Catania
Subject. Removal and conversion of TAR contained in Syngas.
The project is titled “Synergic use of pulsated crown and microwaves to improve the conversion efficiency into electric power from the gasification of biomasses – DEVELTAR”. The objective is to evaluate experimentally the use of innovative and non-conventional technologies to remove the “TARS” from the synthesis gases produced during the gasification of biomasses, being these compounds notoriously strongly limiting the use of the gas produced from cogeneration.
Duration: June 2011 – November 2014
Progress. The project ended with the validation of the technology
- Sea Marconi (project leader),
- Spike Renewables
Subject. Cultivation of microalgae and conversion into energy
Duration: August 2010 – August 2013
- Published the first results of the tests carried out with the system developed by Sea Marconi in 2011 and provided to the University of Florence
- Presentation to the European Biomass Conference 2012 of both the lab scale system and the tests carried out (June 2012)
- Provided the nanosponges as planned to Durham University (R&S Dept.)
- Association europeenne pour la biomasse (Belgium)
– BRITISH TROUT ASSOCIATION LTD IPS (United Kingdom)
– SEA MARCONI TECHNOLOGIES (Italy)
– IngrePro B.V. (Netherlands)
– VARICON AQUA SOLUTIONS LIMITED (United Kingdom)
– VALUE FOR TECHNOLOGY BVBA (Belgium)
– SWANSEA UNIVERSITY )United Kingdom)
– TEKNOLOGISK INSTITUTT AS (Norway)
– UNIVERSITY OF DURHAM (United Kingdom)
– HELLENIC CENTRE FOR MARINE RESEARCH (Greece)
– UNIVERSITA DEGLI STUDI DI FIRENZE (Italy)